Stuck for ideas on what do in Rotorua on Whaka100 weekend? We have you sorted with an epic weekend itinerary with options to suit your individual needs.
Thursday 18th October
Start the day off with a ride. Head out to Waipa carpark and instead of riding up the hills, check out the Southstar Shuttles. Take the shuttle up to the top of the Whakarewarewa Forest and check out some of the popular trails including Billy T, Kung Fu Walrus, Split Enz, and Hot X Buns.
White Water Rafting will take you down the Kaituna river (one of the most beautiful rivers in NZ, and the home of the 7m waterfall). If you're up for a thrill, check it out here
Thursday night is the Rotorua Night Market. Enjoy the boutique style of shopping, ethnic cuisine and local music talent. Find out more about the Night Market here
Friday 19th October
Head out to Waipa Carpark and check out some of the lower courses. If you need to hire bikes for your family, you can hire from Mountain Bike Rotorua. Check out some of our favourite trails: Gunna Gotta, Paddy's run, Dragons Tail, Mad If You Don't and Yellow Brick Road.
Enjoy an afternoon at Kerosene Creek. Relax in the beautiful free hot spring which flows through natural bush with a spectacular 2 metre waterfall into a secluded hot pool. Find directions and more info here
Head down to the Rotorua Village Green for the Velocity Valley Freestyle AirBag BIG AIR Comp this evening. More details are here
Saturday 20th October
Start the day off with breakfast at The Coffee Club located at the Redwoods Shopping Centre.
Head down to the Waipa Event Village and watch The Bike Speedway. If you don't want to just watch, you can take part in it too. Check it out here.
This afternoon is the Whaka 100 shootout. There will be a DJ on stage so head out to the Whaka100 and enjoy the festival feel. Check out the full Whaka100 schedule here
Finish off your Saturday night with a delicious dinner. Eat Streat is one of Rotorua's coolest spots in the city. With quality restaurants, cafes and bars - there's something for everyone. More information on Eat Streat is here.
Sunday 21st October
It’s Whaka100 day! There will be a DJ and live music, so get down there and get amongst the festival feel! Check out the Whaka100 schedule here
Head back to Eat Streat tonight and try out a different place. Perhaps a bar this time, and enjoy a drink or two. It’s time to celebrate your hard work at the Whaka100!
The Polynesian Spa is perfect for some much needed relaxation. The geothermal hot mineral waters are sourced from two natural springs. - perfect for relieving tired muscles, aches and pains. What a way to end the day.
Monday 22nd October
What else is on in Rotorua?
- The Rotorua Bike Festival is from October 19 - 28th. Check out some of the activities you can participate in here
- Okere Falls Beer fest is on October 17 - 20th.
- Take on the Tree Walk at the Redwoods
- Head to the Redwoods for a walk and take on the popular Pohaturoa Track (the Yellow track). The two hour track (7.5km) will take you through the Redwoods to a lookout over Rotorua, before looping back to the start. There are plenty of different track options to suit you, check them all out here
- Whether you want to go on the luge, go Mountain biking, cruise up on the gondolas, or want to enjoy a wine and some food, Skyline has you covered.
- Rotorua also has beautiful lakes. Enjoy the Lake Okareka Walkway.
The countdown is on! See you all soon.